Member of the family unit redefined
Publish Date: Nov 30, 2016
On 19 November 2016 the definition of Member of the Family Unit was simplified.
A member of your family unit can be your:
- partner – married or de facto (same or opposite sex); or
- dependent child.
To include a child in your visa application, the child must:
- be your child or a stepchild from a current or a previous relationship;
- not be married, engaged to be married, or have a de facto partner; and must be:
- under 18 years of age; or
- over 18 years of age but not yet turned 23, and be dependent on you or your partner. Noting that your child or stepchild is considered to be dependent if they continue to be wholly or substantially reliant on you for their basic needs (food, clothing and shelter); or
- 23 years of age or older only, if they are physically or mentally incapacitated for work.
The law changes frequently as such please contact us for up-to-date advice. This article was prepared on 30 November 2016.