Application changes for children immigrating to Australia

Publish Date: Apr 29, 2015

Applying for a visa for a child is changing this month, creating new Australian immigration requirements when lodging an application. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has announced that from 18 April this year, all Child visa applications must be lodged at the Perth office in Western Australia. The application forms must now be sent to the Child and Other Family Processing Centre located at the immigration department's office in Perth.

There are currently six types of Child visas available, each with specific requirements that need to be met in order for the application to be successful. The most appropriate visa will depend on who is sponsoring the child and if they are already in Australia at the time of application or whether they are overseas.

This change will mean that all applications for Child visas where the child is already living in Australia (subclass 802) or for an Orphan Relative visas (subclass 837) will need to lodged from 18 April to one location. Applicants will still need to meet the other requirements for the different classes of visas available for children applying to stay in Australia.

Despite the lodging location change, all children wishing to be granted a Child visa of any kind are still required to complete the appropriate forms for their type of visa. Applicants will generally need to have a health check, have evidence that they can be supported in Australia and, if they are over 16 years of age, will have to meet certain character requirements.

For the Child visa for those already in Australia (subclass 802), both the applicant child and the sponsoring parent need to complete this process. The child's sponsoring parent must be an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen. However, the spouse or de facto partner of the child's parent can also be a sponsor.

For the Orphan Relative (sub 837) visa, a child is only eligible if their parents are not able to care for them. This can be due to death, incapacity to care for the child or because the parents cannot be found.

Applications for the temporary Dependent Child visas (subclass 445) in Australia will also need to be lodged at the Perth office from April 18.

If you have any further questions about applying for a visa for a child, or need advice on immigrating to Australia, contact an experienced immigration lawyer.

Let us help you. Phone: +61 2 8268 4000 or Book a conference