How can I bring my parents to Australia?

Publish Date: Apr 29, 2015

Many people who have parents living overseas might want to help them immigrate to Australia to be closer to them. Here's what you need to know about Australian immigration for your parents.

Currently there are six classes of visa that might apply for people wanting to bring their parents to Australia. They are:

  • the parent visa (subclass 103) and the onshore aged parent visa (subclass 804);.
  • the contributory parent (temporary) visa (subclass 173) and the onshore contributory aged parent (temporary) visa (subclass 884); and
  • the contributory parent visa (subclass 143) and the onshore contributory aged parent visa (subclass 864).

What are the requirements?

All of these visas require that the applicant has a sponsor that is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia. The sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia usually for two years before the application is made. For most applicants, their child or child's spouse will be the one to sponsor them.

For the parent visa (subclass 103), contributory parent (temporary) visa (subclass 173) and the contributory parent (subclass 143), a parent might be able to get this visa if they are sponsored, and meet health and character tests.

All applicants will also need to meet the balance-of-family test which measures a family's ties to Australia. An applicant parent will meet this requirement if at least half of their children live permanently in Australia, or more of their children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

If someone wants to apply for the aged parent visa (subclass 804), contributory aged parent (temporary) visa (subclass 884) or the contributory aged parent visa (subclass 864), they must meet all the same requirements for the parent visa but with an added age requirement. An applicant for this type of visa must be at the age where they are eligible for an age pension in Australia. Eligibility for an age pension will depend on the year they were born.

However, getting an aged parent visa will not automatically mean a person will receive the age pension or social security payments in Australia. They usually need to wait two years for most social security payments and 10 years for age and disability pension payments.

The parent visa (subclasses 103 and 804) can take up to thirty years for the visa to be approved as there is a long queue.

The faster option is the contributory parent visa (subclasses 173, 884, 143 and 864). There is a significantly higher visa application charge at the final stage of the processing of these visa subclasses, so that the total charge for this visa can amount to over $47,000 per parent applicant.

A parent can apply for the permanent contributory parent visa directly (subclasses 143 and 864), or they can initially apply for a temporary contributory parent visa (subclasses 173 and 884). The temporary visa is valid for two years and the parent can apply for the corresponding permanent visa during this time. The overall costs of the two-stage process is roughly similar to those for a permanent contributory parent visa, however the costs are staggered across the two applications.

What can I do with a parent, aged parent or contributory parent visa?

If your application for either of the parent visas is successful, you will be able to immigrate to Australia and live there indefinitely. It is a permanent resident visa allowing you the full rights and benefits entitled to such holders. 

If you have any questions about these requirements or would like more information on visas for parents, get in touch with Craddock Murray Neumann's immigration lawyers today.

Let us help you. Phone: +61 2 8268 4000 or Book a conference