Medical professionals: The visa options

Publish Date: Oct 07, 2015

Australia has a population of over 23 million people, and it increases by one person nearly every minute, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. In addition to this, the elderly population is set to reach around 4.76 million by 2024, climbing from the 3.45 million today.

These statistics serve to show that medical services will be in high demand over the next few years, and it will be important that qualified medical professionals are on hand to practice such services.

If you are thinking of practising medicine in Australia, it could be a good idea to start thinking about the process involved when migrating to the country.

Visa considerations for doctors

Applying for either a temporary or even permanent visa is possible, but doctors are required to have both the necessary medical qualifications and registration to practice within the country. This means registering with a relevant Australia Medical Board.

Once doctors have obtained such registration, they are able to apply for permanent visas either as employer nominated visas or under general skilled migration. Visa options here include:

  • The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189);
  • The Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186).

Temporary visas are also a consideration, and these require the same registration with a Medical Board. Visa options here include:

  • The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457);
  • The Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400).

There are many options to consider if you are a doctor thinking of migrating to Australia or NSW, so be sure to think about every avenue.

The visa options for nurses

Australia will not only require doctors over the next few years, but also nurses capable of providing a high level of of support in hospitals, aged care facilities and other specialist care centres. The NSW Ministry of Health noted that while recruitment will be focused on Australia, there will be a need to recruit from overseas.

Working in a regional area could be a good choice for those seeking a permanent visa, as the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) visa allows skilled workers to work in regional Australia, under three different streams, including:

  • The Temporary Residence Transition stream;
  • The Direct Entry stream;
  • The agreement stream.

Temporary visa options include the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462), if nurses want to work in the country for a period of time. For those thinking of studying in Australia, the Higher Education Sector visa (subclass 573) and Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572) are both good options that could lead to both registrations and qualifications.

As noted above, medical professionals are likely to be in high demand in the next few years, and NSW could be a hotspot for those looking to work in Australia.

If you require advice with regards to migrating to Australia, speak to expert immigration lawyers today.

Let us help you. Phone: +61 2 8268 4000 or Book a conference