Getting started with working holidays in Australia

Publish Date: Dec 02, 2015

Working overseas can be one of the most exciting adventures to embark upon, as you'll get the opportunity to gain real-world experience and meet people from a different culture.

With such numerous opportunities, it's no wonder Australia is a popular choice for working holidays. Of course, there is also the fact that working can help to bring down some of the high costs of travel.

That's why it is important to understand the Australian working holiday visa system before boarding a plane and heading Down Under.

The requirements

Before exploring the requirements for working holiday visas, it is a good idea to note that certain people will be able to apply for a second working holiday visa, and the requirements may differ slightly for a second application.


You must be between the ages of 18 and 30 to apply under the working holiday visa program.


You must be outside Australia for the Immigration Department to accept your application when you are applying for a working holiday visa for the first time. You must also be from an eligible country and hold a valid passport. For those people applying for the second time, you can, and for some people, must, be within Australia at the time of application.


While this visa may seem like a valid way to continue to work in Australia for the long term, you will only be able to work in the country for the one employer for six months under the working holiday visa, unless particular circumstances apply. You may also study for up to four months under this visa.


To apply for this visa, it is always a good idea to speak with a professional lawyer to learn more about the process and receive advice that is specific to your situation. However, applications can be made online from certain countries.

Other considerations

You will also need to meet health, character and, if applying for the first time, even financial requirements to apply for a working visa. Commonly, this means having what's considered 'adequate funds' (typically around AU$5,000 to cover the initial 3 months in Australia) to support your costs of living in the country. Medical exams may be required, depending on the country you're applying from. These will need to occur at a nominated doctor and at your own expense.

If you're interested in starting a working holiday in Australia, or perhaps just learning more about how the immigration process works, reach out to experienced, capable and professional immigration lawyers in NSW. Working in Australia can be a great way to finance a longer holiday.

Let us help you. Phone: +61 2 8268 4000 or Book a conference